Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Lifers on the Boulevard...day 1

A boulevard is defined as a large road running through a city.  Think Champs Elysees in Paris.  Closer to home, we have Roxas Blvd in Manila. We have no such thing in Coron yet there is a place in town that native Coronians refer to as the boulevard. Part of our former governor's grand plan was to build a seaside boulevard from the poblacion (town proper) to the port in Bgy Tagumpay.  Unfortunately, only the first part of the project, the reclamation, was completed during his term.  It was at this area that I decided to go birding last September 26th.  

I arrived in Coron for my regular business trip on September 23.  I was going to be in Coron until the 30th and was planning to go birding several times.  Unfortunately, it started raining on the night of the 23rd and continued almost non-stop until the morning of the 26th.  The rains eased in the afternoon so I went birding. However, due to the things to do at the lodge, I was able to go only at 4:30pm 

Upon arriving at the reclaimed area, I immediately saw a flock of Terns on the zipline cables. I immediately took several bursts.  Terns are migratory birds.  They come from as far north as the Arctic circle and fly to the warmer climates of Asia and Oceania.  





The big one on the upper left part of the photo was identified by fellow WBCP member Adrian Constantino and Jun Osano as a Common Tern.  Lifer # 1.

Here is a closer look at the Common Tern.


I was also able to get some BIF (Bird-in-Flight) shots of the Terns.  Here is a photo of a Whiskered Tern:


... and another one...


Then I saw a lone Grey Wagtail on an electric wire/cable.


After seeing the Wagtail, I saw a lone Little Egret flying by.  It landed on a pool of shallow water.  The image quality is not so good because the Egret was too far and this photo is heavily cropped but the black beak, black legs and yellow green feet are indicative of a Little Egret.


I then saw three or four small birds scurrying about.  I got excited because these were not familiar to me.  With the help of Ornithologist Desmond Allen and fellow Birdwatch Palawan member Vivian Obligar-Soriano the birds were later identified as a lone Kentish Plover (Lifer # 2) and three Red Necked Stints (Lifer # 3). Both of these small birds are migratory.  Here are the photos:

Kentish Plover


Red Necked Stints


After following the Kentish and the Stints for a few minutes, I espied another unfamiliar bird.  Lifer # 4 for the day.  After consulting my Kennedy Guide, I thought it was an Asian Golden Plover. This was later confirmed by Desmond Allen and Geoff Dobbs.  

Asian Golden Plover


It is amazing that these Asian Golden Plovers breed in the Arctic circle but spend their winters in some islands in the Pacific

I stayed a few more minutes and was able to take a few more shots of the Plovers and the Stints.  But since it was getting dark, I decided to call it a day.  All in all, seven (7) species, including four (4) lifers in one and a half hours of birding (and I was not even in the forests of Capayas).  Not bad at all.  This made me resolve to come back the following day.... and that will be the subject of my next post... 



2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your four lifers! Waders are really exciting! You never know when you'll get surprised by an unexpected lifer! =)

    ReplyDelete