Tuesday, May 29, 2018

The Magic Adobo

I do not know when it started, for me the first time it happened was during my birthday last year.  I am referring to one of our "beliefs" in birding. We, (WBPP) birders, have noticed that when we bring adobo for lunch we get to see our target birds. More importantly, we get to photograph them! August 19 last year was my first time to visit the Infanta birding sites which was already becoming famous after WBPP fellows Raymond Dan and Anthony Balbin brought it to the consciousness of the Philippine birding world.  It was a bit rainy and I only had half-day for birding.  But I did get three lifers that day - Flame-breasted Fruit Dove, Philippine Fairy Bluebird and the Amethyst Brown Dove.  I experienced the same "adobo magic" on two other occasions since then - on September 15 last year and March 28 this year.  Both sorties netted good results.  By comparison, I was in Infanta on February 19 with guests (but no adobo), and results were so-so.  And again last May 12,  (also without adobo), with even poorer results.  So while my Lola taught me not to be superstitious, it seems there is a connection between having adobo for lunch and the appearance of target birds, at least for the Infanta sites (or should I say Marilaque Highway). Whatever the name is, I had high hopes for our birding sortie along the Marilaque Highway last Saturday, May 26 because we will be having adobo for lunch.

My primary targets for the day were: Cream-bellied Fruit Dove (would be lifer), Rufous Hornbill (lifer), a decent photo of a perched Oriental Honey Buzzard. Plus good photos of other species.  And any other lifer of course...

We met up in Burger King along Marcos Highway and was soon off. Our party was composed of Ed Santos (the the adobo king), Conrad Olayres, Mhark Gee, Mags Ico, Jonn Salvador (the other adobo disciple), Aimee Valencia, (a birder from Mindanao), Christopher Ferrer, and myself. 

We had several pre-arranged stops along the way and was soon at the first stop.  There were lots of chirping but we did not see anything significant so we moved to the next one.   Soon after parking we saw some Bee Eaters flying about. And then Mhark's sharp eyes spotted a couple of Scale-feathered Malkohas on a small pine tree up the slope. But they were too high up for any decent photo.

Scale-feathered Malkoha, docu shot

Then two Philippine Cuckoo Doves did a very distant fly by.

Philippine Cuckoo Doves

While waiting for the Malkohas to (hopefully) come nearer, two Yellow-vented Bulbuls perched on top of a small Pine Tree, so I snapped a couple of shots due to another birding superstition, this one from Capayas Bird Guide Erwin Edonga, to wit: take photos of all birds, including those we consider trash birds because the birding gods may get mad and not show the target birds. 

A pair of Yellow-vented Bulbuls

Still thinking of Erwin's sage advice, I also took a few shots of the Bee Eaters.  

Silhouette of a Rufous-crowned Bee Eater with prey

Rufous-crowned Bee Eaters

Rufous-crowned Bee Eater

Soon, Aimee joined me in shooting the Bee Eaters. A few minutes later, I saw something dark and long-tailed fly and perch on a low tree just below the wire where the Bee Eaters were perched.  I excitedly gave a loud whisper to Aimee and pointed the tree.  Christopher quickly identified it as a Rough-crested Malkoha. We patiently waited as the bird skulked around the tree, all the while I was praying it would come out in the open.  It briefly did and then flew deeper into the bush. We waited for a several more minutes but it never came out again. But it was a lifer for our guest birder so that was a happy occurrence. 

Docu shot of a Rough-crested Malkoha

It was while we were stopped at this spot when another birder, Elmer Budomo, joined us. But he soon left us because he wanted to meet up with another birder, Fidel Sy, who was already somewhere ahead of us.  Half an hour later, we all met up along the road, and took the obligatory group photo.  Then a White-eared Brown Dove sent us fumbling for our cameras and tripods but unfortunately it did not stay long enough for photos. 


Obligatory "group hug" minus Mhark who was exploring somewhere. Photo courtesy of Fidel.

Then Mhark sent us all scrambling down the slope when he told us that he saw a Philippine Dwarf Kingfisher.  Unfortunately (again), it did not reappear so we had no choice but to trudge back up the slope.  After catching our breath we proceeded to another spot where we drew another blank.  Soon it became a pattern (no birds).  And as usually the case when there are no birds, my itchy trigger finger and eyes for other targets... Sharing some of the non-bird photos I took... 





The perfect perch

And of course, some of my birding companions...




After several disappointing stops, we decided to have an early lunch. As soon as we started unpacking our food and drinks, Mhark called out that there was a Philippine Fairy Blue Bird nearby so most of us rushed to where he was.  We did not get the Bluebird but the Flaming Sunbird suddenly made an entrance and perched about a meter from the head of Elmer!  However, the bird was gone after a couple of seconds.  So we went back to our sumptuous lunch of Chicken Adobo, Laing, Chicharon, Itlog na Maalat with Tomatoes and Mango. Washed down with ice cold softdrinks and water...

Not long after, the magic adobo took effect and the male Flaming Sunbird appeared several times giving us ample chances to get good photos. 



Flaming Sunbird, male

Jonn was ecstatic with these close captures because this bird has eluded him for so long that he punched the air after the first round of photos. His other target bird, the Philippine Fairy Bluebird, did several fly-by's but never gave us any good photo opportunities. 

The group was still going to check another birding spot further on so at  around 2:30pm, I bade the group good bye as I wanted to be home by 5:30ish and also do a bit of birding along the way.  The first bird I encountered is something that I see a lot in Coron, but still thinking of Erwin's belief, I took a couple of shots.

Paddyfield Pipit

I was driving slowly along a certain portion of the Marilaque Highway when I saw something large and brown glide among the trees to my left.  Heart beating fast, I braked, and backed up slowly and after a few meters, through a gap in the leaves, I saw a large brown bird perched. Oriental Honey Buzzard, not a lifer but one of my targets for the day.  A parting gift from the magic adobo. 


Oriental Honey Buzzard

The Buzzard didn't stay very long but I was so happy that I was able to get a few decent shots.  A few kilometers down the road, I saw another raptor circling high above.  It was severely backlit but I took a few shots anyway.  Sharing a heavily processed photo of a Brahminy Kite in flight.

Docu shot of a Brahminy Kite

As it turned out that was my last bird for the day.  Thankful for the birds, the food, the breathtaking scenery, and of course the camaraderie. Till the next adobo gang sortie my friends...



No comments:

Post a Comment