Tuesday, April 16, 2019

De-stressing with Ruddy

Friends and acquaintances have asked me what I get out of birding. What indeed?  Once, while being interviewed for a TV show about the birds of Coron, the host surprised me by asking this question out of the blue (there was a list of questions given to me prior to the actual taped interview).  I could not remember anymore what I answered.  But after reflecting on the question, I guess my answer would be, because it is fun.  It helps me de-stress.  When I am behind my camera and there is a bird in front of me, I forget, at least temporarily, the burdens I carry...

One such occasion happened last February 17. It was my first time to go to Capayas in 2019.  I was hoping for a "photo session" with the Ruddy Kingfisher.  And sometimes, the birding gods grant your wish...  I arrived at Capayas Creek Kingfisher Preserve around 6:45am and Erwin met me whispering  excitedly that the the Ruddy was already somewhere nearby.  We saw it perched in a buho some distance away.  I quickly set up my gear, took some insurance shots and then sat down to wait.  Before long it came nearer and what followed was a two-hour encounter (and almost 2000 shots) of "Rudy".

Here are some of the images I was able to create that day...










Ruddy Kingfisher

It was a perfect way to de-stress on a Sunday morning...  Thank you Lord for the beauty of your creation...



No comments:

Post a Comment