Thursday, January 16, 2020

First Lifer for the new decade

In birding parlance, the term "Lifer" refers to the first time a birder has seen and positively identified a particular species.  Some bird photographers I know will not consider it a lifer unless he/she was able to get a good photograph of the bird. Personally, if I see a bird clearly, even if I do not have a photo, I list it down as a lifer, albeit reluctantly.  I am happy if I get a decent shot.  I am truly happy, ecstatic really, if I get a frame-able shot of a lifer (or any bird for that matter, the rarer, the better).  Thus any mention of a would be lifer always gets my attention. 

The first such bird for 2020 is the White's Thrush at La Mesa Ecopark which Rey Ibay spotted (and photographed on January 5th followed by Delio Tolosa on the 6th. I dipped on this bird in 2017 and there were no reported sightings at LMEP in the next two years.  Who knows when it will come again. 

Finding a hole in my schedule was quite a challenge but I managed to go on January 8th, only to come up empty.  The bird showed up twice but only briefly. I did not even see it the first time and caught just a glimpse on the second. To make things worse, the bird showed up after I left and those who stayed behind were able to get good photos. 

Not wanting to give up on a potential lifer, I decided to go back on the 10th of January. By this time, White's Fever has caught on as there were almost twenty birders at LMEP that day.  I arrived with Raymond Dan at around 6:30am, and we waited and waited and waited.... 

At around 9:00am, I saw Prof Ferdie Llanes, Patty Adversario and Patty's friend (whose name escapes me at the moment), bunched together, squatting and kneeling on the ground.  I quietly made my way until I was behind them and true enough they were looking at the White's Thrush.  It took me a few seconds before I could see the exact spot and by the time I could point my camera, the bird flitted to another perch.  Fired a two shots but got only the body, bird jumped again, aim between two saplings, got it! Docu shot but I will take it.

White's Thrush, first lifer for the new decade

The next two and a half hours was spent waiting for the bird to make another appearance.  However, it kept to the bushes.  We would see it move but it never came out in the open perhaps because there were too many birders - there were 17 Pinoys and a group of 6 foreigners plus their tour leader.  Later another group of foreign birders also arrived.  

Fortunately, LMEP's resident star bird kept us entertained part of the time...



Ashy Ground Thrush

By 11:30am, we decided to break for lunch which we partook at the house of Prof Ferdie. Our lunch group was composed of WBPP President Win Paler, Ed Santos, Jonn Salvador and Prof Ferdie.  Later, we were joined by Raymond Dan and Conrad Olayres.  After the sumptuous lunch, washed down by beer, and the usual WBPP banter, Ed, Jonn, Raymond and I decided to call it a day.  Wins and Ferdie went back to the Park.

Needless to say, I went home happy with my lifer.  Do I go back for a chance to be "truly happy"? Hmmm...  

No comments:

Post a Comment