Thursday, February 27, 2020

Final Shot at Whitey

After three trips to La Mesa Ecopark to shoot the White's Thrush, I was still hot happy with my shots, especially after seeing much nicer photos of said bird perched on a palm tree eating its berries.  When I saw Nes Santiago post his beautiful photos I decided to give it another try.  Ever the gentleman birder, Sir Nes, as we fondly call him, provided me with a detailed direction that will put Google Maps and Waze to shame.  My son and I were scheduled to leave for UST at 6am, travel time 45 mins to one hour, so ETA uste at 7am. Then travel time to LMEP from Uste should be 30-45 mins considering I was going against the traffic. So I thought I will be at LMEP before 8am.  Well, as they say, the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry... we both woke up a bit later than usual, which meant we left the house almost 7am, traffic was heavier, etc etc.  I finally reached LMEP around 8:45am, gather my gear together, walk to the mini forest, follow the directions of Sir Nes.  I finally reached the appointed palm tree by 9:00am, and like an X on a treasure map, my target bird was there.  Set the tripod on the ground, point the camera, fire away... 









I had a one hour photo session with this bird who went about its business without minding me.  A far cry from the very skittish bird in January. At one point, several students passed by and stopped for a chat.  I pointed the bird to them and give a short explanation that this was a rare migrant.  After the usual ooohs and aaahs, one of them asked permission to take a cellphone photo of my LCD screen.  

Resident LMEP bird master Prof Ferdie Llanes and good friend Bong Nabong also joined me in the photo session.  We also met Doc Mylene A. Santos, a self confessed newbie birder.  She had a Nikon DSLR wither her took our photos while we were shooting. 


 

Bong suggested to Mylene to attach her camera to either my lens or Prof Ferdie's (we both use Nikon also), and got the surprise of our lives that her camera was a D850!  I quickly detached my camera body and attached her D850 (my dream camera at the moment), to my lens, did a couple of adjustments and fired several shots. And reluctantly returned the camera to Mylene :-). 

Before leaving the Ecopark, I swung by the other palm tree where the Black-chinned Fruit Dove was holding court.  I fired some shots but the lighting was not so good.  Besides we have this bird also in Coron.  I left LMEP a little before 11am , happy and satisfied with my shots of Whitey (finally!).   



 

No comments:

Post a Comment