Sunday, January 10, 2021

Chasing Lifers: The Bridge of Alicante

Lifer is the term used by birders to refer to the first time they see a particular species. As a bird photographer, I have three main goals: a) to see as many lifers; b) to be able to get a frameable photo (or at least a decent shot), and; c) to destress while enjoying nature (whether solo or with friends). I had no plans to bird this weekend but news, (and photos), of a Green Sandpiper, a rare migrant to the Philippines, sent me to Baras, Rizal for a morning twitch.  From conversations with Joel Dayao, Ramon Quisumbing and Raymond Dan, I learned that the target bird can be found on the Bridge of Alicante, (sounds like a movie title).  

It was still dark when arrived at area a little after six in the morning.  I parked, assembled my gear, and took a quick breakfast.  I drove around and ran into Henrick Tan and Delio Tolosa at the Blue Rock Thrush area.  We noticed that the wind was so strong (it was howling), and there were very few birds flying about. With limited time, I decided to head for the Bridge of Alicante.  Leaving the hillside,  I also ran into another car with birders who turned out to be Romz Lopez and Zr Cabatuan.  

A few minutes later, I reached the Bridge of Alicante. I parked the car and began scanning the area with my binoculars.  I saw several Paddyfield Pipits and a couple of Spotted Doves on the road, ETS, Pied Buschat, and what I think is a Pacific Swallow along the creek area.  The wind was just as strong and almost blew my tripod. I saw something white flyby and perch on a rock in the middle of the waterway.  I snapped a photo but it was just a speck (it turned out to be a Common Sandpiper after looking at my computer monitor).  Then I saw another white bird further downstream.  I took a photo:

Actual shot, no cropping

I enlarged said photo by 100% and felt that this was not a Common Sandpiper.  I took a screen shot and sent it to Joel and Ramon and asked if this was indeed the Green Sanpiper. 

Enlarged 100% in the LCD

Cropped in the computer (when I got back home)

Joel responded saying "I guess... compare to the photos of Raymond and Ramon....".  Ramon said: Congrats!  

Bouyed by Ramon's positive ID, I set out to get a better photo but my attempts failed.  I would walk on the high banks and as soon as I got nearer and peer into the water way the bird flew away.  This happened several times.  Romz and Zr, arrived and left.  Henrick and Delio also arrived and we chatted a bit.  They went upstream and I decided to go downstream again, saw the bird at a distance, and crept behind some talahib on the opposite bank, saw it several meters upstream, walked a few meters and hid behind a clump of weeds and bushes before peering into the waterway below. To my surprise it was directly below me on the opposite bank.  Tried to shoot but the leaves in front of me blocked my camera lens!!! I frantically raised my tripod to get a better angle, praying that the bird will stay while fumbling with the tripod legs. Legs adjusted, locked, aim, fire. Shot still partially obstructed (see green blob on lower right hand corner). After several shots (same pose), I wanted to adjust the tripod some more so I could without obstruction but when I looked again, the bird was gone.  I waited for several more minutes but I did not see it anymore.  Sent the photo to Ramon and Maia Tanedo who both confirmed it as a Green Sandpiper.  First Lifer for 2021.  

Green Sandpiper, Lifer #1 for 2021

It was almost time for me to leave so I decided to go around.  I saw George and Manette Inocencio, and the group of Bimbo Brillo, Ed Gapal, and Raniel Castaneda.  I was able to take a few pictures of a Brown Shrike, a Long-tailed Shrike and more Pied Buschats.  I was hoping for a clear shot of a Brown-breasted Kingfisher but the even the "pambansang ibon ng Baras" was nowhere to be seen.  So with my main target acquired, with a decent shot, I decided to call it a day. 



   

2 comments: