Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Unexpected Lifers: Not one but two

As I have previously written in this space, we went to Infanta last July 10 to shoot the Luzon Scops Owl chick and the Yellow-breasted Fruit Dove.  While waiting for the parent owl to show up, a mixed flock arrived and I started shooting these busy little birds.  It was composed of the usual Infanta suspects - Elegant Tit, Sulphur-billed Nuthatch, Blue-headed Fantail, Citrine Canary Flycatcher, and Philippine Bulbul. At least that's what I thought until I started going over the photos one by one last July 17 and came across the photo below, which I thought was a Philippine Bulbul. I was in my mancave in our basement and my guidebooks were in our bedroom two floors up.  Not wanting to run upstairs, I used my phone to take a photo of my computer screen and sent it to Loel Lamela, Cheta Chua, and Djop Tabaranza.  All three replied within a few minutes to say that it was a Black-crowned Babbler with Cheta saying it looked like a juvenile.  

Black-crowned Babbler, Lifer # 7 for 2021; #457 overall

Two days later, July 19, while still basking in my unexpected lifer, I was surprised to see a photo of a Rufous Paradise Flycatcher, posted by Cecil Morella on the Birdwatch Community Facebook page.  Reading through the comments, it seemed that the bird was in LMEP that morning, so I commented "LMEP?" just to make sure. It was Cheta who sent me a PM saying it that said bird was indeed in LMEP that day.  I glanced at my watch thinking if I could still go there.  But it was past 5pm, and raining. 😠😠😠.  This bird belongs to my "Birding Bucket List"  (or Bakit List, as we are fond of saying), and its just here in LMEP!  I couldn't wait!!!!!!

Several minutes later, Ed Santos sent a message about the same bird and we both decided to go the following morning.  After confirming with Ed, I suddenly realized that I had to accompany Lorna, my wife, to the lab for some blood tests the following morning(!).  Needless to say, it was already 10am when I got to LMEP and found Ed Santos, Steve Albano, Loel Lamela, Henrick Tan, and Delio Tolosa waiting for the Rufous Paradise Flycatcher.  They already had photos.  In fact, some other birders had already left.  An Ashy Thrush flew to a nearby tree and they told me there was a Spotted Wood Kingfisher in the area.  Not wanting to be distracted from my potential lifer, I ignored both.  And within a fifteen minutes of my arrival, Ed's new driver, called our attention and we scooted to his location. And just like that, I ticked off another lifer, a big one at that!

Northern Rufous Paradise Flycatcher, Lifer # 8 for 2021; 458 overall

This was among my first three shots of the day and I think it is the best of the lot.  I still have to scour the rest of my photos though.  But, I believe another trip to LMEP is necessary.  After all, it is a rare bird... 😀.

Thank you Lord for these two unexpected Lifers.  And thank you for the fun time with my fellow WBPP mates.  




   


4 comments: