Thursday, January 30, 2020

Requiescat en Pace

Several days ago, Luis, my son told me that there was a bird's nest in the plant beside our veranda stairs leading to our gate.  He heard some chirping while passing and decided to investigate.  I looked and saw that indeed there was a nest.  I warned Luis not to get too near because the parent birds might abandon it if they feel it is compromised.  So we observed from a safe distance.  Of course I took a photo. It was a challenge because the nest was concealed inside the plant and the leaves prevented a clear view.  Still I was able to get a few shots.

Yellow-vented Bulbul

Over the next few days, we observed adult birds going to and from the nest bringing food.  On a couple of occasions I heard chirping of the chicks and saw movement of at least two heads.  Often, the adult birds would perch on our fence before proceeding to the nest or after coming from the nest. We - Luis, Leon, Lorna, and I, were all happy about the birds and the chicks.  We would check on it from time to time - but always from a distance so as not to spook them. 

Adult YVB on our wrought iron fence.

One time I saw a cat (one of the stray cats that come and go), near the plant box. I knew its intentions so I chased it away.  Lorna even asked me to remove my car cover and a box that were at the base of the plant because they provided easy access to the cat.  

Just before noon today, I went to check the nest and it appeared damaged and immediately I looked for traces of blood.  
Damaged nest

At first I did not find any blood but after a second look, I found this at the base of the plant... and the adult birds are nowhere to be found.  Not sure if they were also killed and eaten or just left because there was no more reason to stay. 

Top part of the nest plus a bloody chick

The boys reviewed our CCTV and a white cat did attack the nest at approximately 5:50am this morning.  

Needless to say, we all feel bad about it, especially Lorna. It was just a Yellow-vented Bulbul, one of the most common birds in the country.  We do not even take a photo of it (along with the Maya and the Losyang) unless there are no other birds to shoot. One can even argue that its part of the circle of life or the food chain.  Yet its death has saddened us.  I can only wish that the parents build another nest at a safer place and lay more eggs and hatch new chicks that will successfully fledge. As to the cat... am open to suggestions... kidding...




No comments:

Post a Comment