Sunday, February 2, 2020

Another shot at Whitey...

A birder guest of mine once said that bird photographers are the among the most greedy in the world.  First they want a shot, any shot. Then a better one, then a full body, then a full frame of full body in good light in a good perch, etc.  Of course the ultimate would be a frameable and exhibit quality shot. This was said in jest of course but there is a certain grain of truth in it. We all want a better shot. So while I was happy that I was able to photograph the White's Thrush last January 10, I wanted a better one especially since this bird is a rather rare migrant.

I went back to LMEP late afternoon of January 18 but I did not even see the bird. Actually, I did not even see any bird. Hence...

When there are no birds, we make do with whatever Nature presents...

Finding a hole in my schedule yesterday, I decided to try my luck again. I arrived at the park around 1:30pm and met several birders while walking to the mini forest.  We greeted each other with a nod and a smile (I didn't know who they were).  I asked "quota na ba?" (meaning if they already got the White's Thrush).  They answered that it was a no show (oh no!).  And added that Djop (Tabaranza) was still there. I met him near the old stables as he was on his way out. We chatted a bit, he pointed out the fruiting palms and said that he saw the White's Thrush twice but no photos.  I set up my tripod near the fruiting palms and waited.  Waiting is never really my strong suit so after about twenty minutes, I decided to walk a bit and check the area near the "hollow blocks" where we saw the it last January 10.  I was a few meters away from the tip of the "rotunda which is actually a triangle" when I saw a slight movement on the ground on my right... and there he was... set down my tripod, fire a burst, wrong setting (aaargghh!!!), adjust settings (while imploring the birding gods that it does not go away), fire again... bird turns and walks a few steps, fumble at tripod knobs to re-aim, shoot again, bird turns and runs as muggles (non-birders), walk by. I strain my eyes looking at the dark forest floor hoping that it will come back for another round.  But it never did.  Sharing two decent photos...


White's Thrush

When I set out for La Mesa, my goal was to get a full body shot of the White's Thrush, which I accomplished but now I wish that that green blob (which is actually an out of focus leaf) is not there.  Remember what I said about bird photographers being greedy?

I waited for the White's Thrush to show up again and while waiting, LMEP's resident Ashy Ground Thrush entertained me... Thank you Lord for this beautiful and friendly bird...

Ashy Ground Thrush in its signature one-legged pose

I went back to the fruiting palm to see if the White's Thrush or the Brown-headed Thrush will show up but they did not.  Prof Ferdie Llanes joined me around four thirty. I left a little before five, happy that I was able to bird and get my target, (even with the green blob!). It was a good way to end a stressful week.  Thank you Lord for the opportunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment