Saturday, February 20, 2021

Chasing Lifers: Ticking off a big one

The Rufous Hornbill has been on my birding bucket list for several years now so when I saw the post of Loel Lamela on February 13 of a photo taken the day before, there was an overwhelming urge to go there. But the following day was Valentine's Day so I was not sure how Lorna would take it.  Luckily, she allowed me to go - her Valentine gift as she put it.  So off I went for a "quickie" birding trip (until 10am only).  I easily found the place as described by Loel and Djop Tabaranza.  I even heard the Hornbills honking on the gorge below.  But I did not see even a shadow of it.  So a little after 10am, I drove back to San Juan.

I put the Hornbills off my mind and concentrated on work and family matters the next few days.  For the weekend of Feb 20-21, I was actually looking at either going with some birding friends to Canarem or with another group of  friends to Subic.  But when photos taken by Edwin Martinez on Feb 17 came out, Win Paler, Ed Santos and I decided to try our luck the following day.  But when we arrived at Infanta, it was foggy and worse, it was raining.  We waited in our cars, and decided to have hot chocolate at Marquez. While sipping our delicious hot drinks, the sky cleared and we hurriedly went back to the site which was a few kilometers away.  By the time we got there, it was raining again.  It finally stopped around 11am. We set up our cameras and tripods and began to wait. By this time, we have been joined by Kamote, a local guide of sorts and his son, Francis.   

A little before 12nn, Francis excitedly called our attention and excitedly pointed at a distant tree below the cliff to our right. The bird was hidden inside the foliage with only its bright red beak showing.  I fired a burst, the bird shifted and I got a slightly better view, fire another burst. Sharing what is probably my best shot of the day.  Rufous Hornbill. Lifer # 3 for 2021, # 452 in my Lifelist. 

Rufous Hornbill, #3 for 2021; #452 in the Lifelist

Then it flew down to the right and disappeared from view.  What followed was several minutes of Kamote and Francis and us craning our necks and looking and hoping for a shot, any shot. Thirty minutes later, Francis, who was standing on a small ledge off the cliff was pointing and saying that it was in the open.  I looked at the precarious ledge, and the long way down, said a quick silent prayer to my patron saint (who happened to be St. Francis), handed my camera to my tocayo, sat down on the ground and sort of edged my way to the edge of the small ledge. When I got there, I had to stand up (knees shaking), to shoot, (handheld because there was no space for the tripod). Saw the bird at a distance and fired a burst, only for my camera to flash "Ful" meaning my XQD card was already full!!! Aaaargh!!! I quickly deleted shots, fire, delete some more, fire again.  And not feeling comfortable with my precarious perch, I handed my camera back to Francis and scrambled up the slope.  Whew!

Sharing my buwis buhay shot...
A distant full body shot of the Rufous Hornbill

The rest of the afternoon was spent waiting for the bird to come nearer but it never did. We could see them on the opposite slope, perhaps half a kilometer away.  At one point they flew high up aamong the trees but I believe only Ed was able to get good photos.  Mine were all blurry. At around 3pm, we went to the Philippine Dwarf Kingfisher site but it was also a no show.  We went back for a final shot at the Hornbills and as soon as we parked, Francis pointed to a pine tree.  One Hornbill was there but covered.  Then it flew down the cliff and was joined by three others and consistent with our luck, they perched hidden from us but we could hear them honking.  Then suddenly they flew towards us and perched on a tree directly below us.  Through a hole in the branches, I was able to see one. 


After a few more minutes, all four of them flew away in the direction of the opposite cliff.  We took this as a sign for us to call it a day.  

Back in the car, I saw a message from Lorna asking me to buy some plants for her, which I did.  And when I got to the Santa Maria area, I was treated to this magnificent sunset.

Sunset along Marilaque Highway

On the way home, Wins treated us to dinner at The Gatherings Cafe. 

Thank you Lord for showing us your magnificent creations (but please make them come nearer next time 😄).  Thank you for the time spent with friends and nature. 






2 comments: